The Canadian Self-employed Persons Program is also sometimes referred to as the World Class Athletes and Cultural Performers category which we have listed under the Temporary Resident category as it applies to both permanent and temporary residents. It is a stream by which people with much to offer may immigrate to Canada permanently as a self-employed person. They must prove to the Canadian government that they have some relevant contributions to make to the economy or culture.
To immigrate as a self-employed person, you must:
- have relevant experience
- be willing and able to be self-employed in Canada
- meet the program’s selection criteria and
- meet medical, security and other conditions
- show that you have enough money to support yourself and your family after you get to Canada.
Relevant experience means that you have taken part in cultural activities or athletics at a world-class level or been a self-employed person in cultural activities or athletics. You can get more points if you have 3, 4, or 5 years of experience.
For this category, you must have at least two years of experience in your field, during the period starting 5 years before the day you apply and ending on the day you receive your decision on your application.
At a minimum, your experience must be:
for cultural activities:
- 2 one-year periods being self-employed in cultural activities, or
- 2 one-year periods participating at a world-class level in cultural activities, or
- a combination of a one-year period described in (a), and a one-year period described in (2)
- 2 one-year periods being self-employed in athletics, or
- 2 one-year periods participating at a world-class level in athletics, or
- a combination of a one-year period described in (1) above, and a one-year period described in (2) above
You are scored on the following criteria as to your suitability for the program: experience, education, age, language abilities and your ability to adapt to life in Canada.
As of March 10, 2018, applications under the farm management stream of the Self-Employed Persons Program are no longer being accepted. Those applications already in process prior to that date will be promised.